Twitter

Monday, June 22, 2015

NBA Draft Story - Hoff the Intern

Jahlil Okafor and D'Angelo Russell are on campus at ESPN today which reminds me of a funny, humbling moment from my ESPN internship. Over 10,000 student apply annually to be interns at ESPN and I was one of the nearly 100 selected. ESPN is truly like the commercials. You just never know who you're going to see when you turn the corner. Coaches and players from all over the sports world are visiting constantly. It was the NBA Draft prospects that got me though.

I was 21 years old and was living the dream! I was rubbing elbows with people I admired in the business, and their bosses. I was feeling pretty good about myself. "Who else has it like this? Young and accomplished. Yeah, man!"



Like today with Okafor and Russell, ESPN hosted two of the top two prospects in 2011: Kyrie Irving and Derrick Williams. Kyrie was 19 years old and was a lock to be the #1 pick, make millions and become a star. I was a 21 year old intern.

This isn't a blog to make you think about perspective and all that. It's a blog meant for you to laugh at me. Or with me. Because it was funny. You're not that awesome, kid. You're not that awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment