Twitter

Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Random Rumblings - 1/22/13

Today was going to be a podcast day, but I've rescheduled to tomorrow with Dave McMenamin from ESPN LA so a few quick thoughts.

About those Lakers

They stink. It's impossible how bad they stink. The only thing that's impressive about them is that you have to actually try to screw up that much talent and Mike D'Antoni has been astonshingly good at it. I wish I was joking, but I'm not. If the Lakers scrapped his stupid system and played pickup style ball, they'd be better off. Pau would run to the post. Kobe would get to his spots. Nash would do his thing. Ron Artest might wind up in a dress. Or naked. I don't know.

I'm not going to go full on bananas here as I'll save my burning questions for Dave tomorrow but here's something to chew on - Pau Gasol and Kobe Bryant can't get post touches because it doesn't fit in D'Antoni's system, but Ron Artest seemingly winds up down there on a consistent enough basis that I've noticed. Let that stir in your mindbrain.

The Sunflower Showdown

After I'm done writing, I'm going to take a quick nap. After that, I'm going to Manhattan (Kansas not New York) for tonight's Kansas-Kansas State game. It's rare in college hoops that we get such good one-on-one matchups as we could potentially see tonight. Shooting guards Rodney McGruder and Ben McLemore are two of the best scorers in the country. McLemore's also a pretty darn good defender and he might get some of McGruder tonight. Or he won't because Travis Releford will be on him and that will be just as much fun to watch.

Expect Elijah Johnson and Nadir Tharpe (especially the latter) to pressure Angel Rodriguez full court. The sophomore point guard is turnover prone and McGruder can't do a thing unless he gets the ball from Rodriguez. As if those backcourt matchups weren't enough, keep an eye inside on Jeff Withey and Jordan Henriquez. If I were Bill Self, I'd have a lot more money. I'd also have a job. I'd also bang the ball inside to Withey to get Henriquez into foul trouble, out of the game which opens up the entire offense.

Students were lined up at 6 am this morning for this one. As long as they're not exhausted or icicles by tip-off, the atmosphere should be insane. Follow along during the game on Twitter: @craighoffman.

All shapes and sizes

Athletes, like people (cause...ya know...they are people too), come in all shapes and sizes. There is no better proof of that than this picture from 5'2" Olympic gymnast Aly Raisman:


The Massachusetts resident and lifelong Bruins fan got to drop the puck at yesterday's game. She was wearing flat shoes while she stood next to 6'9" Zdeno Charra who was wearing skates. The result as Walt "Clyde" Frazier might describe it? A hilarity in size disparity.

If you have questions for Dave tomorrow on the Lakers or other NBA things, tweet them to me or leave 'em in the comment section below.

No comments:

Post a Comment